Recipe for Onion Gratin with Rosemary and Thyme

Onion Gratin with Rosemary and Thyme
This Onion Gratin with Rosemary and Thyme is a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving.

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites.  It's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving Recipes, and this Onion Gratin with Rosemary and Thyme is a perfect Thanksgiving side dish.) 

Creamed Onions was one of the dishes my family used to consider a "must have" for Thanksgiving dinner, and I started thinking about them recently when it rained for days and I had a ten pound sack of Vidalia onions to use up. I knew I'd have to get creative, since the old family version had butter, cream, and lots of full-fat cheese. Then I remembered the Broccoli Gratin I made for Thanksgiving this year, and I experimented using that topping on roasted onions. When I shared it with the guys working on my house and my contractor's teenage son Scott said, "I don't like onions, but that was good!" I knew we had a winner.

Click to continue reading