Recipe for Pasta with Italian Sausage and Collard Greens

Pasta with Italian Sausage and Collard Greens
Collard greens, garlic, and red pepper flakes are tossed with browned turkey Italian sausage and pasta in this easy and delicious recipe.  If you haven't warmed up to collards, use any type of greens you'd like!

(Updated with greatly improved photos and better instructions, April 2013.)  This easy and delicious recipe for Pasta with Italian Sausage and Collard Greens was adapted from one of my most-used cookbooks, Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World.  I've been cooking from this book since I first discovered it in 2006, and haven't found a bad recipe yet.   My version of this classic dish uses nutritious dark green collard greens, and I'm also using turkey Italian sausage, since it's lower in fat and turkey is one of the Superfoods.  I also used more collards and sausage in proportion to the macaroni to make this more nutritious. When I first made Hopping John Soup I discovered how much I liked collard greens, and the only time I might change when I make this again is to double the collard greens for even more veggie goodness.

Click to continue reading