Sliced Tomato, Olive and Goat Cheese Salad with Onion-Caper Vinaigrette

Sliced Tomato, Olive and Goat Cheese Salad with Onion-Caper Vinaigrette
I love this salad with sliced tomatoes, kalamata olives, goat cheese, and onion-caper vinaigrette!

(Updated with new photos and step-by-step directions, August 2013.)  At this time of year some people are thinking about fall foods, but I always start remembering how that fresh-from-the-garden produce will only be around for about another month, and I want to eat tomato salads and zucchini dishes as often as I can!  This year I don't have as much garden produce, which is making me savor it all the more when friends or family member share tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers with me.  This Sliced Tomato, Olive and Goat Cheese Salad with Onion-Caper Vinaigrette from 2006 is adapted from a recipe in The Low Carb Gourmet by Karen Barnaby, a fabulous cookbook whether or not you're into lower-carb eating. I think this combination of capers, chopped red onion, Kalamata olives, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar goes perfectly with fresh tomatoes, but if one of those doesn't appeal to you, substitute ingredients to fit your own taste and this will still be delicious.  (And if you'd like to join me in stretching out summer, check after the main recipe for a lot more tomato salad ideas!)

Click to continue reading