Recipe for Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake

This tasty Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake will help you eat your greens.

(This ultra-delicious Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake is today's pick for the month of  Daily Phase One Recipes.  I love this flavor combination, and I'd eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  You can see all the recipes from the month by clicking Daily Phase One Recipes.  Check after the recipe for Phase One Flashbacks from this day in 2012 and 2013.)

My food preferences have changed since I've been writing this blog, and one good change is the way I've developed such an appreciation for greens.  I confess that before I started growing them in my garden, I never cooked much with Red Russian Kale, dark green curly kale, or Swiss chard.  Now these uber-healthful greens have turned into something I love experimenting with every year when the garden is producing them, but I've also started buying greens from the store more often.   I've made a few different breakfast dishes with greens baked into the eggs, but this Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake is a bit different, with a generous amount of goat cheese (the soft type that comes in a log) combined with milk and then mixed into just enough eggs to bind it together into a barely-firm custard.  I loved the flavor combination with the Swiss chard, goat cheese, and other cheeses, and although you could certainly eat this for breakfast I've been eating it for a light dinner for the last couple of days.

Click to continue reading