Chinese Steamed Spareribs with Black Bean Sauce


Our International Dinner Club country this month was China in honor of Chinese New Year (Gong Hay Faat Choy! by the way). We prepared dim sum which was such a treat. I discovered this dim sum fave at Steamy Kitchen's website and my mouth was watering. Last summer I was a recipe tester for Steamy Kitchen's new cookbook...everything that woman makes is gold. She hadsn't let me down yet, so I was pretty sure this dish was going to be no exception.

Recipe by Jaden @ Steamy Kitchen
_________________________________________________________

Serves 4 as part of multi-course meal

1-1/2 lbs pork sparerib, cut into 1" ribs by the butcher (or sweet n' sour style pork spareribs)
2 tbsp black bean sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cooking oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar

Cut the ribs between each bone so that they are separated into individual ribs. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and add spareribs, tossing to coat. Let marinate for at least 1/2 an hour (I let mine marinate for 4 hours).

Using a large stove-top steamer (or a bamboo steamer basket), place the marinated ribs into the basket and set over boiling water. Steam on medium high heat for 18-20 minutes or until no longer pink. My steamer is small, so I steamed half of the ribs at a time so they could be arranged in the basket in a single layer. After the first batch finished I placed them in the oven at 200 degrees and steamed the second batch.

Click here for printable version of Chinese Steamed Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce.

____________________________________________

THE RESULTS?

WOW. The sauce on these ribs is incredible. I've never had a steamed rib before, and it's amazing how moist and tender they become. I have another 1 1/2 lbs of pork ribs in the freezer that I was going to try a different recipe with, but I'm really tempted just to make these again. So good. Jaden has done it again.