Hamburger Soup

This recipe is totally reminiscent of my childhood. I used to love when my Mom made a big ol' pot of this for us. When I was around 8 or 9 my parents went away for the week so my Grandparents came and looked after us. The only thing I remember about the week away from my Mom & Dad was that Grandma made this soup....and I was comforted.

________________________________________________

Serves about 6-8

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 28 oz. can of tomatoes
4 cups beef broth
4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme (I usually use dried, but I have also used fresh)
1/2 cup barley
Salt & pepper to taste

In a big soup pot, brown the ground beef and onions over medium high heat. Drain off the fat. Then add all other ingredients and simmer covered for at least an hour, but longer is better.

Click here for printable version of Hamburger Soup
_______________________________________________

THE RESULTS?

I love when a recipe is easy, simple and uncomplicated, yet the flavors say otherwise. This is a really satisfying and delicious soup. My toddler loves it as well. I planned to freeze half of it for a meal later on in the month when I've had the baby, but it's so good I'm pretty sure we are going to polish off the big pot before I get a chance.


For more inexpensive meal ideas, visit $5 Dinners.