Recipe for Indian Spiced Black-Eyed Peas with Tomato and Curry Leaves

Indian-Spiced Black-Eyed PeasI never could find the herb called curry leaves in Utah, so I was thrilled when BlogHer editor Snighda Sen brought some for me to the BlogHer Conference in San Francisco last summer. Then on the last day of BlogHer I got the news about Sher, and didn't feel much like cooking when I got home. Into the freezer went the curry leaves, where I forgot about them until a few weeks ago when I read that curry leaves can be frozen, and I finally tried cooking with them.

The first time I used them I didn't take photos, but I liked them so much I decided I had to make something for Weekend Herb Blogging using curry leaves. I found this recipe for Curried Black-Eyed Peas at Lisa's Kitchen, and it sounded intriguing. I'm pretty much a novice at Indian cooking, so I may have done some things in my interpretation of the recipe which aren't really authentic! But even if my version isn't authentically Indian, I loved the flavor of this spicy side dish with black-eyed peas, tomatoes, and delicious curry leaves.

Click to continue reading