Herb & Cheddar Biscuits


Yesterday I wrote about my Baking Day, and since I was still in the bakity-bakerson spirit I went ahead and made these biscuits. This was a recipe passed down to me from my late mother, so I have been eating these cheesey morsels since I was a kid. When I moved out on my own and attempted baking (did I mention that I used to be really terrible at baking?) these were some of my first creations, and even a rookie like me got them right. The recipe is incredibly forgiving and so easy to whip up. The herbs are merely an option and can be switched up and swapped out depending on the flavors of the meal you are wanting them to accompany. This peticular combination was created especially for Sweet & Savory Beef Stew.

____________________________________________________________________

Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3 tbsp fresh herbs (any combination) - 1 tbsp fresh oregano, 1 tbsp fresh basil & 1 tbsp chives is a good combo for Sweet & Savory Beef Stew
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Measure flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a bowl and stir to combine. Add the grated cheese and herbs and stir together well. Pour in the oil and milk and stir until it forms a soft ball of dough (add more milk if needed to achieve this). Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out into a 1 inch thickness, and using a knife cut into about 12 squares. I never worry about making these perfect. Place the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet close together for moist sides or further apart for crisp sides. Dab the tops of the biscuits with a bit of milk so they brown. Bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned and serve.

Click here for printable version of Herb & Cheddar Biscuits

____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I make these biscuits every time a warm and hearty pot of soup or stew is simmering (usually without the herbs). Anybody can make them and they are so darn tasty with a little butter spread on 'em. Here are some great accompaniments for these biscuits: