Szechuan Chicken & Noodle Wraps

Updated from the archives with pictures and text. Originally posted Nov 26/08

A Canadian franchise I love is called Bad Ass Jack's and they serve up some amazing wraps. We don't get to eat it very often at all, since we don't have one in our city, but I get some major cravings for those wraps (we now have one but we never eat there because I make this recipe). I don't know why I never thought of it before, but recently I had a light bulb moment and I thought "I could MAKE those!"

They really are just like the restaurant's. The sauce you use is up to you. At the restaurant I always order my wrap with BBQ Ranch, but I have no idea where you get that sauce or how to re-create it. I'm sure it's slightly more complicated than mixing Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce together (it's actually not...I tried to make it and it turned out exactly the same). We use PC Szechuan Peanut Satay Sauce for our homemade ones because we love it. Other suggestions are: Teriyaki, Thai, Orange Ginger, BBQ sauce, and Honey Garlic. Use whatever kind of sauce your family likes best...because the flavor of the sauce will make or break the wrap.

My own recipe inspired by Bad Ass Jack's
____________________________________________________________________

Serves 4

2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 lb thin Chinese egg noodles
1 cup sauce of your choice, plus more to serve (we like PC Szechuan Peanut Satay - it's more of a peanut sauce than a typical Szechuan, but other ideas are Teriyaki, Thai, Orange Ginger, BBQ sauce, Honey Garlic or BBQ Ranch. For homemade BBQ Ranch: mix together 1 part ranch dressing with 3 parts hickory BBQ sauce)

1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 large carrot, grated
4 green onions, chopped

1 package of 10 inch tortillas (your choice of flavor)


First boil your noodles (should take only about 2 minutes) then drain and set aside.

In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute your chickenwith a bit of oil and season with salt and pepper. Saute until no longer pink and cooked all the way through. Add the cooked egg noodles and 1 cup of sauce. Toss to coat and remove from heat. Place in a bowl and set aside.

Cook the peas and corn in separate containers in the microwave with a bit of water. I cook on high for about 5 minutes. Drain both the peas and carrots and add to separate bowls and set aside.

In a frying pan over medium-high heat add about a tbsp or so of olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until browned and the liquid has evaporated. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

In the same frying pan, saute diced peppers and onions until soft. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

Place the grated carrot and green onions in a bowl as well. Set the bowl of chicken and noodles, peas, corn, mushrooms, peppers and onions, and grated carrot/green onion on the table along with the wraps and extra sauce.

Here's how you make your wrap: Place a few tablespoons of the egg noodle/chicken mixture in the middle of the wrap. Top with your favorite toppings (I add all of them except peppers and onions) and then a drizzle of your favorite sauce. Fold in the two ends, and then roll up like a burrito.

Click here for printable version of Szechuan Chicken Wraps

____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE?! These were sooooo good. They totally hit the spot for my Bad Ass Jack's craving. My husband devoured his wraps, and exclaimed how brilliant I was to think of making these at home. My toddler didn't eat these as wraps, but instead ate the noodle/vegetable/sauce filling...and practically ate my arm off she was so ravenous for these. She loved them.

This recipe makes A LOT of filling, so unless you have ravenous eaters in your house there should be leftovers. This would make an excellent lunch the next day. A great way to jazz up a bagged lunch that's for sure.


For more great bagged lunch recipes, visit this week's Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.