Grilled Mahi Mahi Recipe with Lemon and Capers

Mahi Mahi is a perfect fish to cook on the grill, because it's firm and doesn't dry out.

(Updated with new photos and better instructions August 2011.)  I think Mahi Mahi is a greatly under-used fish, and it's one of my favorite types of fish to use for cooking on the grill.  This recipe is one I first made back in the days when I was grilling fish on a houseboat at Lake Powell, long before anyone thought about sustainable seafood, but the wild-caught Mahi Mahi I get from Costco is classified as a good choice, (and Mahi Mahi is not dolphin, in case anyone is wondering.)  You may not think of capers as being an ingredient that goes with fish, but I love the tang they add to this recipe.   I think this flavorful marinade with lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, Dijon, and just a touch of onion and garlic flavor would be good on just about any type of fish.  (Edit:  For someone who asked in the comments, the salad served with the Mahi Mahi in this photo is Sauteed Chickpea Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, Capers, Mint, and Sumac.)

Click to continue reading