Pinterest Recipes: Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken


Joining Pinterest this summer has been an amazing resource for me for both organizing and finding recipes, gathering ideas for decorating my daughter's "big girl room" and finding fantastic preschool crafts.  I noticed that lots of people become attracted to the same recipes over and over again and I thought it might be kind of fun to test and review some of the popular ones.  First up is this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken.  Here's the original image I pinned from Chef Mommy:

Photo by Chef Mommy
Recognize it?

I've been turning to slow cooker recipes more and more since going back to work, especially on Wednesdays when we rush home from work to eat, clean up, and then host community group in our home.  I started a board called "Recipes : Slow Cooker " and this salsa chicken was one of the first recipes I ever pinned.

Recipe adapted from Chef Mommy
__________________________________________________________________________________

Serves 4-6



1 lb bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (or use chicken breast, whatever your preference.  It is not necessary to be boneless)
1 10 oz can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
1 package taco seasoning (or 2-3 tbsp of homemade)
1 cup salsa

1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup sour cream


Place chicken, soup, taco seasoning and salsa in slow cooker and stir to combine.  Turn on low for 6-8 hours.

When you get home from work, remove chicken and shred.  Discard the bones.  Stir in black beans, corn, and sour cream, as well as the shredded chicken, turn slow cooker up to high and replace the lid.  Put a pot of rice on to cook.  Serve creamy salsa chicken over rice.

Click here for printable version of Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken.
__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
So yummy!  The whole family loved this one.  I loved that it was super easy to throw together in the morning before work and a cinch to finish it off when I got home.  These could be eaten as Rice Bowls where everyone doctors up their own bowl with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, cilantro, etc.  The chicken is also delicious as a filling for burritos or stuffed into taco shells.  You could also serve it with Cilantro Lime Rice.


The great thing about this recipe is that all I have to remember is the number ONE: one pound, one cup, one can, one package....easy easy!

If you want to follow me on Pinterest click here.  Whenever I try recipes and really like them I place them on the board "Recipes : I Tried and Loved."