Recipe for Steamed Green Beans and Carrots with Charmoula Sauce

Adding Charmoula Sauce turns plain steamed green beans and carrots into a gourmet treat!

I don't think there are any awards for Thanksgiving side dishes, but if there were I'd nominate this dish of Steamed Green Beans and Carrots as the Most Interesting New Side Dish.  And when I say interesting, what I mean is we couldn't stop eating it, all the while remarking how plain steamed green beans and carrots had been transferred into something amazing by the sauce.   Charmoula is sometimes referred to as cilantro pesto, and it's a North African sauce made of chopped herbs and spices.  It's often used as a sauce on fish, which is probably the next way I'll trying using it.  Charmoula is also fairly similar to Chimichurri Sauce, which is a South American sauce served on meat.   If you're not a cilantro fan, I think you could adapt this recipe to use more parsley and less cilantro and get a good result, but I'm not sure how it would work with no cilantro at all.

Click to continue reading