Recipe for Leftover Corned Beef Soup with Sauerkraut and Tomatoes

Leftover Corned Beef Soup with Sauerkraut
If you have leftover corned beef on hand, this soup is a tasty way to use it.

(For Friday Favorites I highlight recipes from the past that you may have missed, and this delicious soup with leftover corned beef is a great way to use leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day.  I've been so moving to my new house this year that I haven't even cooked any corned beef, but I have happy memories of this from other years.)

By the time most people read this it will be St. Patrick's Day, and I'm guessing you might be cooking Corned Beef in the Crockpot.  I've been experimenting with recipes for leftover corned beef, and this soup is the happy result.  This recipe was inspired by Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Soup, but the finished soup was quite different in flavor.  I ate it with some Swiss cheese sprinkled on top (to continue the decomposed Reuben Sandwich theme) and drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar.  And I didn't have any, but 100% Whole Wheat Irish Brown Bread would have been the perfect thing to dip into the soup.  Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Click to continue reading