Barley and White Bean Salad with Parsley, Lemon, and Capers

Barley and White Bean Salad
One of the cookbooks I've consistently used is Jack Bishop's Vegetables Every Day, so when I started hearing about his latest book, I had to have A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen too. This newer book has the same creative approach to vegetables that made me love the first one. It was the parsley in this salad with white beans and barley that caught my eye, and when I made it, the flavor was a little similar to tabbouleh, one of the summer tastes I crave. I did change the proportions of the salad a little, adding more beans to bump up the protein. The recipe suggested serving this on butter lettuce topped with tomatoes, but I didn't have lettuce. The tomatoes gave a nice color contrast, but this would taste great without them too.

Click to continue reading