Beef Braciole - Pounded, Stuffed, and Ready to Roll

This beef braciole recipe (pronounced, bro'zhul), is a version of a dish I learned from my Uncle Bill, who makes it for special holiday dinners. It’s basically a stuffed and rolled piece of pounded beef, braised in tomato sauce. It is one of my all-time favorite Italian recipes, and a great dish to learn, since it can be varied in many delicious ways.

I really hadn't planned on making it, but as you'll see in the clip, I found myself the proud owner of some "reduced for quick sale" sirloin steak. Usually the recipe is done with a tougher cut of meat, and braised for a longer time. But, we chefs must adapt and overcome, so I ended up doing this version that took advantage of the quicker cooking steak.

I also didn’t have some of the classic ingredients like currants and pinenuts, but used what I had, and it came out wonderfully. So, consider this video recipe a lesson in the technique of pounding, stuffing, and rolling the braciole - which will hopefully inspire you to fill it with your favorite dried fruit, nuts, herbs, cheese, etc. Enjoy!



2 8-oz top sirloin steaks
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chopped raisins or whole currants
2 tbsp any fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc.)
1 egg
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup water