Recipe for Wilted Escarole Salad with Kohlrabi, Radish, Lemon, and Parmesan

Wilted Escarole Salad with Kohlrabi, Radish, Lemon, and ParmesanI love discovering foods that are new-to-me and turning them into friends. Escarole is one of those ingredients I was quickly intrigued by, but I confess after I heard about this interesting type of greens that can be eaten cooked or raw, it took me a while to try it. Actually, when I was first getting to know it, more than once I brought escarole home, only to have it go bad in the crisper. Maybe it was that feeling of escarole regret that spurred me on to make a salad with this head of escarole, which might have been a day or two past it's prime, but was definitely still good when I rescued it from the crisper. I checked Food Blog Search for inspiration and remembered Molly's Escarole Salad with Avocado and Parmesan, and I was also intrigued by how The Chocolate Lady had recommended a bit of marinating time in her recipe for Non-Cooked Escarole. I also had a bulb of kohlrabi my sister had given me, and some radishes in the fridge, and that's how this salad with escarole, kohlrabi, and radishes was created.

Click to continue reading