A Spinach and Feta Pie Fit for a Diva

This simple pan of food was supposed to be called a "Spinach and Feta Oven-Baked Omelet" in the cookbook – but after making, eating, and starring at photos of it for a couple hours, I decided it shall now be known simply as Spinach and Feta Pie.

Besides, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times…if it's shaped like a triangle and you can eat it, it's pie (reminder: all comments are moderated).

When I hear, "omelet," I think eggs, but while there are a dozen of those here, it's just not the star of the show. That would be the spinach, and lots of it. I put a whole pound of fresh spinach in this, and when it was done baking, the eggs had gone from headlining diva to backup singer. And not even the hot backup singer they always put in the first row of the chorus – that was the feta cheese.

This spinach and feta pie may remind you of spanakopita, that delicious Greek phyllo-wrapped pastry which is stuffed with a very similar filling. In fact, as delicious as this was, part of me wished I were also biting into those crisp, buttery, flakes.

At the beginning of the video, you'll see I already have the spinach cooked. I was positive I had done an old video for creamed spinach in which I showed the simple technique I used to wilt the greens. Do any of you old timers remember that clip? I was going to link to it to show you, but it's nowhere to be found.

Anyway, simply put a large stockpot over high heat, toss in a chunk of butter (let your conscience be your guide), throw in the spinach, cover, and wait one minute. Uncover and toss with a wooden spoon until it's just barely wilted, then drain as you see in the video.

This spinach and feta pie makes a nice breakfast, of course, but could also be served as a side dish sitting next to some braised lamb. Hey, that sounds pretty good. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 pound spinach
1 tablespoons butter to wilt spinach in
6 slices bacon
1/2 onion, diced
12 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne
3 oz feta