Recipe for Braised Green Beans with Garlic, Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers

Braised Green Beans with Garlic, Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers
Delicious fresh green beans braised with garlic, tomatoes, olives, and capers.

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites.  When the garden starts exploding with green beans, this is one of my favorite ways to use them.)

Although I love having a garden where I can grow a lot of my own vegetables, keeping up with garden vegetables can be a challenge, and if you're not diligent vegetables quickly grow too big. Green beans are the plant I have the hardest time with; they come on so quickly that often when I pick them I find a bunch of over-sized green beans. If you have garden where the beans sometimes get a little too big, this recipe for beans are braised with garlic, tomatoes, olives, capers, and a little water is a good method for making larger beans tender. (I'm mentioning that as a public service announcement, since I tried this recipe before I even had beans in my garden and the pictures in these photos are thin green beans from Costco!)

Click to continue reading