Recipe for Swiss Chard and Mushroom Squares

Swiss Chard and Mushroom Squares
Flavorful Swiss Chard and Mushroom Squares will work for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

(Updated August 2012 with better photos and instructions, plus the option to use Hemp Hearts to make this a Phase One recipe.)  Back in the summer of 2008, I posted this recipe that was adapted from Regina Schrambling's Collard Squares, and when I had an abundance of Swiss Chard in the garden this year, I decided to re-do the photos.  These veggie-centric squares have just enough egg to make them breakfast possibilities, but the mushrooms add such savory umami flavor that they could work well for lunch or a light dinner as well.  This is probably the type of dish that will never be too photogenic, but I did like my new idea of cooking them in a Mini Loaf Pan for more defined squares, and this version also uses Hemp Hearts instead of breadcrumbs to make them Phase One for South Beach Dieters.  (I changed several other things in this recipe, but I'll keep the original printer friendly recipe in case someone has it bookmarked.)  I like to eat these with a dollop of sour cream, as you can tell from the new photo.

Click to continue reading