Shrimp, Avocado, and Red Pepper Salad Recipe

Shrimp, Avocado, and Red Pepper Salad
A delicious salad with shrimp, avocado, red bell pepper, and celery.

(First posted 2007.  Updated with better photos and step-by-step instructions, September 2012.)  A few days ago I posted 90 Healthy No-Heat Lunches for Taking to Work, and I don't think I even included this favorite salad from back in 2007, but this would make a great take-to-work salad, especially if you kept the avocado separate and mixed it in just before you eat.  Fresh shrimp is pretty much impossible to find in Utah, but I love to make salads like this with frozen, cooked shrimp that's been thawed overnight in the fridge.  Then I use a little of the shrimp "juice" from the frozen shrimp to add more flavor to the dressing for the salad, a a trick I also like for adding flavor to my family's favorite shrimp and macaroni salad.  This is a quick salad that looks relatively fancy for the little time it takes to make, and I've made it many times since I first came up with the recipe.

Click to continue reading