Easy Recipe for Spicy Avocado in Pita

Spicy Avocado in Pita
One of my favorite options for a quick healthy lunch is this Spicy Avocado in Pita.

(Updated May 2013 with better photos and step-by-step instructions.  I've been making this Spicy Avocado in Pita regularly since I first posted it in 2006!)  If you're going to stick with any kind of healthy eating plan you need some easy and healthy options for times when you just don't want to cook, and this is one of my favorite things to make for an easy lunch or dinner, especially whenever avocados are on sale. It's nothing more complicated than avocado mashed with a fork, spiced up with a bit of chile powder and salt, and then eaten in a 100% whole wheat pita pocket or Foldit with a bit of lettuce.  (The same whole wheat pita I use for this is also great to cut into triangles, crisp in the oven a little, and use instead of chips for any kind of dip or hummus, for another easy and healthy snack or lunch.)

Click to continue reading