Whole Wheat Orecchiette Pasta Salad Recipe with Roasted Asparagus, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms

Whole Wheat Orcchiette Pasta Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms
Whole Wheat Orecchiette Pasta Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms is a perfect salad for Meatless Monday.

Today the temperature in Utah is supposed to get above 90F so we've definitely entered the season for warm-weather eating, and lately I've had pasta salad on my mind.  It seems like there are a lot of ho-hum combinations that give pasta salad a bad name, but I like the challenge of coming up with something that's really good, and I loved the Whole Wheat Spaghetti Salad I made recently.  Then I excitedly discovered Delallo Organic Whole Wheat Orcchiette at the store in my new town, and my mind started spinning with thoughts of making a really drool-worthy vegetarian pasta salad.   This Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms has wonderful flavors from roasting the vegetables, and then I added this fun pasta shape, sliced green onion, chopped parsley, kicked-up Italian dressing and coarsely grated Parmesan to make a truly fantastic salad.  If you can't find the whole wheat Orecchiette I used, just use any smallish whole wheat pasta shape, even macaroni.  And if you're seeing this at a time of year when asparagus is not going to be available or you're not an asparagus fan, I'd just increase the mushrooms and red peppers and you'd still have a delicious salad.  (If you skip the Parmesan and use a vegan dressing, this salad could easily be vegan.)

Click to continue reading