Kalyn's Kitchen Picks: Red Boat Fish Sauce (and Ten Favorite Recipes Using Fish Sauce)

Kalyn's Kitchen Picks:  Red Boat Fish Sauce (and Ten Favorite Recipes Using Fish Sauce) found on KalynsKitchen.com
Red Boat Fish Sauce is amazingly smooth and flavorful!

In 2012 I recommended Three Crabs Fish Sauce as one of the products I buy over and over, so let me start out here by saying I'm still a fan of Three Crabs and I'd happily use it in a recipe.  But about a year ago I started hearing a lot of talk about Red Boat Fish Sauce, and when I saw it in a new Real Foods Market in Salt Lake, I had to try it.  Some of the buzz surrounding this product comes from the fact that it contains only fresh caught wild black anchovies and sea salt, making it Paleo and Whole 30 approved.  But if you like the umami-laden flavor of fish sauce, for me the main reason to spend a bit more for this brand is for the taste, which is amazingly smooth and has just the right combination of fishy-salty flavor notes.  Fish sauce is not something you use in huge amounts, so for me it's worth the money for a fish sauce that tastes this good.  Even though I found it in Salt Lake, I'm guessing this can be hard to find, but you can Get Red Boat Fish Sauce from Amazon.com if you can't find it where you live.

Click to continue reading