Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup (Gluten-Free, Meatless)

Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup is loaded with cheesy broccoli flavor.

Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup found on KalynsKitchen.com

There's a reason why nearly every family restaurant in the U.S. has some version of broccoli cheese soup on the menu, and that reason is the wonderful flavor combination that is broccoli + melted cheese.  But if you're trying to limit carbs and you check the nutritional information for soups like Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Corner Bakery Cheddar Broccoli Soup, or Ruby Tuesday Broccoli Cheese Soup, you'll notice all those soups are thickened with flour or cornstarch.  

I knew that had to be the case so for a long time I just ignored my broccoli cheese soup cravings, but lately I'd been thinking about making a low-carb version of soup with broccoli and cheese.  I noticed that my friend Lydia's Cream of Broccoli and Cheese Soup at Soup Chick didn't have any flour, and I also got some inspiration from Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup from Closet Cooking.  And after looking around a bit online, I started experimenting!

My soup creation added cauliflower, which pureed nicely to add some body to the soup.  I also added some barely-cooked broccoli florets at the end for a little more texture.  I tested this recipe for Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup with my nephew Jake and we gobbled it up after a long cooking day when we weren't all that hungry, so I think it's safe to say it was a success.

Click to continue reading