Greek Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono Soup) with Rice or Cauliflower Rice

Greek Egg-Lemon Soup (Avgolemono Soup) is traditionally made with rice, but it was also delicious with cauliflower rice!

Greek Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono Soup) with Rice or Cauliflower Rice found on KalynsKitchen.com

Greek Avgolemono Soup or Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup is one of those dishes I've been passionately in love with ever since the first time I tried it, probably back in college, so that's a long time I've been loving this chicken and rice soup that's thickened with eggs and lemon.  I'm guessing I first tasted Avgolemono Soup at The Other Place, a Greek-American restaurant in Salt Lake City, and I still like their version of this classic Greek soup.  I first made this soup for the blog in 2006, and my version has dried parsley and dried thyme added to the stock, plus a little lemon zest, an idea that came from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines, a very old cookbook with lots of good ideas. 

What makes this soup special is the Avgolemono sauce that you mix into the soup to thicken it, a mixture of beaten eggs, and fresh lemon juice and zest that's mixed with some of the hot soup and then gently stirred back into the rest of the soup. The egg-lemon sauce that thickens the soup isn't really that difficult to make, but you must be careful not to let the soup boil after it's been added or it will curdle.

Click to continue reading