Cuban Sandwiches

When researching ideas for using up roasted pork for my Slow Cooked Pork Challenge, I came across this intriguing sandwich. While the Cuban Sandwich may be well known in other parts of the world/country, in lil ol' Southern Alberta, Canada we have none too many Cuban's around. Though this sandwich may not be wildly popular in these parts, its a must that it be tried.

Two kinds of pork, one sweet one savory, gooey melted cheese and crunchy pickles sandwiched between warm and crunchy bread.....it's a fresh new take on a grilled cheese sandwich. And a fabulous way to use up those pork leftovers.

*Recipe from We Are Never Full
______________________________________________________________________

Serves 4

1 loaf of fresh soft Italian bread (or Cuban bread if you can get ahold of it....don't tell anyone that I was completely UN-authentic and bought French bread...it worked...sshhh)
1 1/2 cups leftover shredded pork
4 slices of honey ham
4 slices of swiss cheese (or enough to cover your sandwich)
1-2 deli pickles, sliced
1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
1-2 tbsp Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice the bread in half lengthwise and open it up. Smear mayo on one side of the bread and on the other, smear the Dijon mustard. On top of the side with mayo, place the shredded pork, top with slices of honey ham, then swiss cheese, then pickles and place the mustarded bread on top.

Wrap the whole sandwich in tinfoil and place on a baking sheet. You want to place the heaviest oven-proof skillet you can find on top (I used my dutch oven) and place it in the oven for 20-30 minutes (it depends how crispy you want your bread to be).

Remove from oven, cut into 4 equal sandwiches and serve with a salad.

Click here for printable version of Cuban Sandwiches

____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
This was REALLY good. Both my Mother in Law, my hubs and I thought it was restaurant worthy. My husband Steve works hard all day in construction, and when he gets home he is usually so STARVING he'd eat the pan I cooked the food in. As I sliced the sandwich into 4 and there was only 3 of us, I pretty much figured he would be going back for the last sandwich. To my surprise, he was completely satisfied after only one. This is an extremely filling sandwich. So full of delicious flavor and so hearty. This is a keeper.