Recipe for Mujadarra (Middle Eastern Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions)

Mujadarra (Middle Eastern Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions)Mujadarra (pronounced moo-jha-druh and also spelled Mujadara, Mujaddara, Mujadarah, and Mujadarrah) is a humble middle eastern dish of lentils, rice, and caramelized onions. This is a recipe where the flavor becomes much more than you'd expect from the simple ingredients used. Years ago I started ordering Mujadarra at a now-closed Salt Lake restaurant which served it with Middle Eastern Tomato Salad around the the plate, the perfect way to eat it if you have tomatoes and fresh herbs on hand. Then that restaurant closed, and I never found another place in Utah where I liked it as much. Recently I decided to get serious about making Mujadarra myself, starting with a recipe from Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean, in which she cautions not to reduce the amount of olive oil because "the dish will lack a certain richness." That sounded like a good start to me, but after a few tries, I couldn't manage to cook the lentils and rice together without one or the other getting overcooked. What worked for me was to cook the rice separately and mix it into the cooked lentils and caramelized onions. After waiting years to re-create a version of this dish I was happy with, I loved how this turned out, and I'm sure it's something I'm going to be making over and over again.

Click to continue reading