Layered Mexican Casserole Recipe with Chicken, Green Chiles, Pinto Beans, and Cheese

Layered Mexican Casserole
This Layered Mexican Casserole is Phase One and Gluten-Free!

(This Layered Mexican Casserole Recipe with Chicken, Green Chiles, Pinto Beans, and Cheese is a perfect family-friendly choice for our month of Daily Phase One Recipes.  To see all the other recipes from the month, just click on that link, and check after the recipe for Phase One Flashbacks from this day in 2012 and 2013.)

I grew up eating casseroles, which in those days usually had white rice, noodles, pastry, tortillas, or potatoes, and some kind of canned cream soup.   Then I changed my eating habits and didn't want to use those ingredients any more, but I still craved the comfort-food appeal of a casserole, as well as the way they make such great leftovers.  To fill that casserole craving I've been experimenting for several years with updated casserole combinations, using low-glycemic ingredients for a healthier result.  I've come up with quite a few Casserole Recipes that have been winners, but I think this Layered Mexican Casserole with Chicken, Green Chiles, Pinto Beans, and Cheese might be one of my best creations so far! 

Click to continue reading