Recipe for Ground Beef Gyro Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki and Tomatoes

Ground Beef Gyro Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki and Tomatoes
All the amazing flavors found in Gyros, without the pita bread!

(Today's pick for the month of Daily Phase One Recipes is these flavorful Ground Beef Gyro Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki and Tomatoes that I first posted in 2012. I've made these meatball lettuce wraps many times since then, and still love this recipe when I'm craving Greek food.  You can see all the recipes from the month by clicking the link Daily Phase One Recipes.  Check after the recipe for Phase One Flashbacks from this day in 2012 and 2013.)

This recipe is for everyone who loves the complex flavors of Greek Gyros (pronounced yeer-ohs), but it's especially for my brother Mark.  When the idea first popped into my head to make a lettuce wrap with Gyro flavors, I immediately thought of Mark and his love of Greek food.  It might have been a good thing that I had that image of him enjoying this in my mind, because it took Jake and I five tries to get the seasoning for the Gyro meatballs just right.  When I came back to the kitchen from taking photos and Jake sheepishly admitted he had eaten quite a few of the meatballs, I knew this final version was a keeper!

Click to continue reading