New York Style Bagels... Peter Reinhart.


Chewy New York Style Bagels... Peter Reinhart. I think it's time for another bread recipe:)... haven't posted one in such a long time. While I will always be partial to my best ever bagel recipe, I have for some time wanted to make a NY-style bagel. You know, the kind that's quite chewy and dense.... and that always benefits from a good schmear of cream cheese. While my best ever bagel recipe is probably considered a West Coast type of bagel(more bread-like and light)... this version I'm posting today is more of an East Coast version(dense and chewy).

When I visited New York last year, I made it a point to stop by a popular bagel shop and try their bagels. I had looked forward to my trip,  especially looked forward to the bagels. So when I walked in the shop, I remember eyeing the basketfuls of bagels and large bins of various cream cheese schmears.... so eager was I to try a bagel! I mean New York bagels are supposed to be the best. But after tasting the bagel, I'll be honest, I was sort of  disappointed. I mean, the bagel was ok,  it just wasn't great. For some reason, I felt they almost needed that moundful of schmear they're known to top the bagels with.... to me the bagels were kind of dry and dense. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be...

This past year I decide to try my hand at making a chewy NY-style bagel....a homemade version. I figured freshly made is always best.  I've enjoyed making Peter Reinhart's bread recipes in the past, so I knew his bagel recipe would probably not disappoint. I decided to go with his less complicated method(he has a few recipes)... as it makes just 6 bakery style bagels.  I did end up making a double batch... to test the difference between the food processor method and the mixer method. Both results were similar in texture and taste.... but I prefer using the food processor, it's much quicker.

Boy, if you ever want a bagel with a chewy crust, this is it! You almost need to tug at the bagel when biting into it, it's that chewy. These bagels are meant for a cream cheese spread... less so for making sandwiches(just because of the pull and tug), though it goes extremely well with a slice of cheese and deli meat. I still love my best ever bagel recipe for making sandwiches with... especially sunny side up egg sandwiches, as it's softer and not as chewy.  But if you are looking for a small batch chewy bagel recipe, this is worth making. The bagels come out looking fantastic, with a golden blistery crust... makes you look like a professional bread baker:). Hope you enjoy...              

You will need: adapted from LA Times

Bagel Dough: makes 6 bagels, but you can easily make a second batch, as I did.

3 1/2 cups (1 pound) unbleached bread flour 
2 teaspoons table salt
3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon honey(or barley malt syrup)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water

Water Bath:
3+ Quarts of water
1 tsp salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Egg Wash:
1 beaten egg

Toppings:
Poppy, sesame seeds

Directions:

1. USING A FOOD PROCESSOR: In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, 2 teaspoons salt, the yeast, honey and the water. Process for 1 minute until the ingredients form a stiff, coarse ball of dough... you may add a tiny bit of water, if needed. Let the dough rest 5 minutes. Process dough for an additional 50 seconds- 1 minute.
USING A MIXER: In a mixer bowl, add the flour, 2 teaspoons salt, the yeast, honey and the water. Knead on medium speed until the ingredients form a stiff, coarse ball of dough, about 3 minutes....you may add a tiny bit of water, if needed. Let the dough rest 5 minutes. Knead on medium speed for an additional 3 minutes...

Note: If the dough seems too soft or too tacky, sprinkle over just a bit of flour as needed. I didn't need to add any additional flour.

2. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and  cover with plastic wrap. Place bowl in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to several hours. I left mine for 2 hours in the fridge.

Note: The bagels must be shaped before proofing overnight.

3. Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Divide it into 6 equal pieces. 

5. Form each piece into a loose, round ball. 

With a cupped hand, roll each piece of dough on a clean, dry work surface... do not use any flour on the surface.  You can wipe the surface with a drop or two of water if the dough slides around and won't ball up... the slight amount of moisture will give you the necessary "bite" for the dough to form a ball. 

6. Roll each dough ball into a "rope" 8 to 10 inches long. From bagels.

Moisten the work surface ever so slightly if needed. Slightly taper the rope at the ends so that they are thinner than the middle. Place one end of the dough between your thumb and forefinger. Wrap the rope around your hand until the ends overlap in your palm by about 2 inches. Squeeze the overlapping ends together. Press the joined ends into the work surface and roll them back and forth a few times until sealed.

7. Remove the dough from your hand and squeeze as necessary to even out the thickness of the dough. You should have a 2 inch hole in the center. 

8. Place the bagel on parchment paper lined pan. Repeat process until all bagels are done. Placed oiled plastic wrap over bagels and place in the refrigerator overnight.



Remove the bagels from the refrigerator 90-100 minutes before you plan to bake them. 
  • Pre-heat oven to 500 degs F for 30 minutes
1. Ten or 15 minutes before baking(oven has pre-heated for at least 15 minutes), fill a large stockpot with 3 quarts of water, making sure the water is at least 4 inches deep. Cover pot with a lid, and slowly bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Simmer with the lid on.

Note: Test the bagels to see if they are ready for boiling by placing one in a bowl of cold water. If it sinks and doesn't float to the surface, then return it to the sheet and wait about 15 minutes and then test it again. When one bagel passes the float test, they are ready for the pot. I didn't bother with this, since I bake bagels all the time, and knew my bagels were puffed enough to float... you can tell they are lighter in the hand. But if you are new to bagels, it's best to do the float test. 

2. Gently lift each bagel and place it in the simmering water. Add 2 more bagels, or as many as will comfortably fit in the pot, but don't overcrowd. I do 3 at a time. 

3. Poach bagel for 1 minute, then flip each bagel over and poach for an extra 30 seconds. 

4. Remove each bagel using the slotted spoon, and place it on the lined baking sheet. Brush bagel with egg wash and sprinkle any toppings of choice. Repeat until all the bagels have been poached, egg washed and topped. 

5. Reduce the heat to 450 degrees FPlace the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Rotate sheet and bake for an additional 8 minutes or until golden brown. 

Note: You may want to check the underside of the bagels half way through baking... if they are getting too dark, then place another sheet under the baking sheet and continue baking for the last 8 minutes. I didn't bother with this. 

6. Remove bagels from oven and transfer them to a rack. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.