Beef with Green Beans in Peanut Sauce



I'm sharing a real special treat with you today. REAL special. If I make this recipe for my husband, it's almost guaranteed he would lick my feet if I asked him too. Seriously. We both love this dish so much, I make it more often than any other recipe. I also make it for company or when someone in our church has a baby and we provide them with meals for a week....I've made this for two different couples and nothin' but compliments out the ying yang. So if you never try any of my other recipes, try this one. It's a keeper.

Recipe from Tyler Florence.
____________________________________________________________________
Makes 4 servings


Marinade:
2 egg whites
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
Salt and pepper
1 pound beef top round or sirloin steak, sliced paper-thin against the grain

½ cup peanut oil
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (I use a fine grater)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 green onions, chopped
½ tsp of dried chili flakes
¾ pound green beans, ends tipped and cut in half
½ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 strips orange peel (*optional)
¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped

*I’ve made this recipe with orange peel and without, and surprisingly that little bit of peel makes a huge flavor impact. It really gives the peanut sauce an orange flavor. Steve likes it both ways, but I prefer it without. I never actually make it with the orange peel EVER now, so I'm not sure why I'm including it in the recipe directions. So it's up to you. Do you like orange in your peanut sauce?

Tip: Once you've got your beef fried, and you are ready to finish off the dish it all comes together really fast. Make sure you have everything you need right on the counter, measured out and ready to go.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch until foamy; season with salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat in the marinade and stick it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or overnight to make it easier on you).

Pour the peanut oil in a large skillet or wok and place over high heat. When the oil is smoking hot, add 1/2 of the beef. (If you fry all the meat at once the oil temperature will drop and the beef will stew instead of crisp.)

Fry for 2 minutes then remove to a paper towel to drain; repeat with the remaining beef.
Oh look at that crispy goodness.

Very carefully drain all but 2 tablespoons of the hot oil into a safe container. Stir fry the green beans in the remaining oil; season with salt and pepper. After about 2 minutes, add the ginger, garlic, green onions, and chili until they perfume. Remove from the pan.

Mix the chicken broth with the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch to make a slurry and add it to the pan. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, peanut butter, and orange peel (if you are using it). Simmer until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.

Return the beef and green beans to the pan, tossing to coat in the sauce.

I usually serve this with rice, but have discovered that it is excellent with vermicelli noodles. They are a cinch to make: Boil water. Put noodles in bowl. Pour water over top. Let sit for a couple minutes. Drain.


Now here's the best part: Put your noodles or rice in a bowl, top with the stir-fry and garnish with chopped peanuts.

Click here for printable version of Beef with Green Beans in Peanut Sauce
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Can you say "I'm in heaven"? My family loves this meal. Like seriously LOVES it. My husband is kind of a "saucey" guy and always makes me double the peanutey sauce. Either way, you will love this and so will your family. I'm pretty sure it would be a kid pleaser because of the peanut butter...I know my toddler eagerly downs her bowl of it.


For more green bean recipes check out $5 Dinners Grow. Eat. Save. - Green Beans Edition