California Rolling - Sushi for People with Rudispiscisphobia

As promised, here is my video recipe of the ubiquitous California Roll. Thank God (Buddha, in this case), for the user-friendly crab and avocado roll, as it allows those culinary cowards among us to join friends at a sushi bar. Without it they would have to make up some story about a sudden illness in order to avoid the embarrassment of admitting to raw fish phobia. Since I couldn't find the official term for this horrible affliction, I found a Latin-English translation site and have now coined this syndrome, rudispiscisphobia.

I was hoping to also show some raw fish options using the sushi rice, but there was no decent "sushi-grade" fish readily available in my neighborhood. Maybe next time. The faux crab I used in these California rolls is a nice option if your budget (as I very subtly joke about in the clip) does not allow for the real stuff. Just be sure to check the labels and make sure your fake crab is made from real fish. Enjoy!




. .