Cornbread Muffins

When I was about 12, my Dad took us to Kenny Roger’s Roasters. Remember that restaurant? I don’t think they even exist anymore, but your chicken dinner came with a cornbread muffin, and this was my first experience with cornbread…it was so good I ate my brother’s muffin too. I had never eaten cornbread that good again, until about three years ago when I was student teaching High School Foods. We were doing a unit on Pastries, Cakes and Muffins and I went searching for a cornbread recipe for the students to make. I found this one in a Company’s Coming cookbook, and when the students made the muffins and shared them with me, I was taken back to being 12 and eating the best cornbread of my life! I make these muffins every time I make chili. Steve took these to work for lunch and his co-worker said they were 10 times better than the ones that the chef at their workplace made…and she’s a Red Seal Chef!

I know some people don't like their cornbread sweet, but I absolutely love it. I've had some dry, crumbly, flavorless cornbread in my time, and I think the sweetness from the honey really solves that problem and makes these muffins moist and flavorfly delicious.

Recipe from Company's Coming
____________________________________________________________________

Makes 12 muffins

1 cup flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup cornmeal
¼ cup butter
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup honey
¾ cup cold milk
1 egg yolk
1 egg white

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.
Stir in cornmeal.

Melt butter and combine with honey and milk.


To separate the egg yolk and white, take your egg...
Crack it, and shimmy the yolk back and forth between the two egg shell halves, and let the egg white fall into a clean bowl.
Take the egg yolk and add it to your butter, milk and honey mixture.

Ignore my horrible nail bitten cuticles.

Stir the wet ingredients together, making sure to break up the yolk well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir only enough to dampen.

Take an electric mixer and beat the egg whites.

Keep beating until stiff....

Like that.

Lightly fold the fluffy egg whites into the batter.

Spoon into greased muffin tins and fill 2/3 full.

Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the middle of a muffin, and if it comes out clean then you are good to go.

Serve the muffins with my delicious Kickass Chili.

Or eat just on their own. They are delicious either way. Serve them warm with butter and savor each bite.
Click here for printable version of Cornbread Muffins.