Pastrami Chicken Wings – A Delicious Failure

Have you ever been enjoying a nice pastrami sandwich and thought to yourself, "This is good, but I really wish it had some bones in it." Well, this recipe was an attempt to solve that age-old desire.

I've taken a spice rub traditionally used on a beef brisket to make pastrami, and applied it to America's favorite appetizer, chicken wings. This resulted in a pretty nice chicken wing recipe, which tasted nothing like pastrami.

I guess I'm asking for trouble calling it "Pastrami Wings." If your palette is set for some rich, fatty, smoky pastrami, you will be disappointed. As I joke in the video, a chicken ain't a cow, and no chicken wing will ever taste like real pastrami.

Having said that, so what? They're just chicken wings. Perfect for this time of year, since for sports fans this is the ultimate sweet spot on the calendar. You can watch baseball, football, basketball (I wish the Bay Area had a team), hockey (Go Sharks!), golf, and several other minor sports (like college football).

What better way to veg on the couch for 14 hours, than with a plate of chicken wings that don't taste like pastrami? Honey, can you grab me another beer? My fingers are all greasy. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 pounds chicken wing sections
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp smoked paprika
pinch of cayenne, optional
2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
2 tsp flour
*serve with Russian dressing as a dip

Note: I thought these were fairly mild, and would actually increase the spice amounts next time. If you experiment, please let me know the results!