Monster Zucchini and Basil Strata Recipe

This is a tasty casserole or side dish made with those inevitable monster zucchinis!

(For Phase One Fridays I highlight Phase One recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites.  When my neighbor Mike showed me a monster zucchini hidden among the zucchini leaves in his garden, I knew it was time to feature this really delicious way to use those huge zucchini.  

People who haven't grown zucchini themselves may see the title Monster Zucchini and Basil Strata and wonder if monster zucchini is a new zucchini variety, but anyone who's had a garden knows about those monster zucchini that hide under the leaves.  You don't discover them until they're so big that it seems like the only thing to do with them is make Zucchini Bread or Zucchini Muffins.  I'm not a fan of monster zucchini, so I try to watch my plants and not let them get too big, but when the garden is winding down I always have a few that get out of control.  When I discovered an enormous zucchini recently I decided to update this recipe that I first made in 2005 with a monster zucchini that greeted me when I got home from a trip.  This recipe does have a few eggs to hold it together, but I'd consider it a casserole or side dish and it's one dish made with monster zucchini that really is very good.

Click to continue reading