Recipe for Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic, Thyme, and Balsamic Vinegar

Roasted Mushrooms
If you need a Phase One side dish that feels like a treat, these roasted mushrooms will do the trick!

(We're still counting down on the Month of Daily Phase One recipes, and these wonderful roasted mushrooms that I first posted in 2009 would make a wonderful Phase One side dish that feels like a treat.  Even if you had to use dried thyme, I think these would still be really good.)

If I ever decided to make a list of "foods I'd never get tired of," there's no doubt that mushrooms would be on that list. This interesting mushroom recipe, where they're partly roasted and then tossed with garlic, fresh thyme, and balsamic vinegar, comes from Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop, one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. I think mushrooms are good no matter how you cook them, but roasting concentrates the mushroom flavor in a way that makes these mushrooms especially good. My grill is still packed away due to house renovations, but if I was you, I'd roast the mushrooms on the grill, then serve them over a steak or some grilled pork chops. If you're not in a grilled meat kind of mood, the mushrooms would make a great side dish no matter what you're serving.

Click to continue reading