Sloppy Toms – This Sandwich Has a Great Personality

I was so excited I’d been able to make such a fine Sloppy Joe with ground turkey instead of the usual beef, that I didn’t even consider its unsightly appearance as I ate. It wasn’t until later, as I edited the footage and photos that I realized this was not an attractive dish.

Even the best looking Sloppy Joe is a homely plate of food, but this was made even more so by the pale turkey meat. As I mentioned in the video, I believe a more thorough browning of the onions would have helped the color, and I will test that theory the next time I make this.

In fairness, it did look a little better in person, and the taste and texture were exactly as I had hoped. It tasted enough like a traditional beef Sloppy Joe to provide that satisfying comfort food fix, yet seemed much lighter.

Superficial beauty aside, this made for a very enjoyable lunch, and kept warm in a slow cooker, could also work very nicely for a Super Bowl party. I hope you give it a try soon. By the way, thanks to Me.Eat.Food for inspiring today post title! Enjoy!



Ingredients for 6 Portions:
2 tbsp butter
1 onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey plus 1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar, or to taste
cayenne to taste
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cup water, or as needed
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese

View the complete recipe