Roasted Salmon With Sweet 'n' Hot Mustard Glaze

This photo has been updated Jan 18, 2012.  All other pictures were from the original Vancouver trip in 2008.
This is an old post from April 2008 when my husband and I went to Vancouver.  I wanted to re-post it because I have a new (much better) picture, it tastes freakin' delicious and it turns out this recipe is in the Robin Miller: Quick Fix Meals cookbook I am reviewing.  Oh...and I MacGuyver'ed it a bit while cooking this recipe in Vancouver.  You'll see as you scroll down ;)


__________________________________________________________________________________

I'm back from my week on the west coast. Can I just say how utterly awesome Vancouver and Victoria are? I was in my glory when we visited Lonsdale Quay Market and Granville Island Market. We don't have "markets" here in my small city in Southern Alberta. I get the pleasure of grocery stores and ONE small Asian store. But seriously....Granville Island Market?! Oh how I love thee.

We went on a Saturday and the whole market was buzzing and crowded with people. There was a huge organic produce section, many fresh seafood counters, fresh bread, fresh italian....EVERYTHING! Oh and there were buskers everywhere. It was so exciting. We were sick of eating out and wanted to cook a fabulous meal for my Father-in-Law. I had already decided to make my Roasted Salmon with Sweet 'n' Hot Mustard Glaze. We came to a fresh seafood counter and were utterly excited to see bright red salmon fillets staring up at us. We are used to frozen lumps of pink salmon (still good)...but not like this. This was Wild BC Sockeye Salmon....mmm.

We stayed in a guest room in Steve's Dad's apartment building. It came equipped with dishes, a few pots and pans and some cutlery, but no spices, salt....nothin'. I had to keep my cooking simple, since I lacked a stocked kitchen, so this dish was perfect. And seriously delicious. I think my father-in-law wouldn't mind if I stayed permanently in the guest room and cooked for him every night ;)

Recipe from Quick Fix Meals
__________________________________________________________________________________

Serves 4

Cooking spray
1 pound salmon fillet
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Dijon mustard*
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon mustard powder*
1 clove minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill


*Instead of using dijon and mustard powder, I just bought Heinz Bold and Spicy Mustard and it did the same thing. I've made this recipe a ton of times the original way and this tasted basically the same.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

So here is the gorgeous red sockeye salmon fillet we picked up at the market. Use whatever salmon fillet's you can get.


If you are like Steve and I, and staying in a guest room with almost nothing, you will need to go to the nearest McDonald's and swipe yourself some packets of salt and pepper.

If not, then just get out the ol' salt and pepper shaker. I use Kosher salt at home.
Season up both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper and then place in a baking dish that has been coated in cooking spray. (I skipped this step since I didn't have any and it worked fine. But usually I use it, just to make sure my beautiful fillet doesn't stick.)


Once your fillet is seasoned up, you can go ahead and make the glaze. Combine your mustard, honey, mustard powder (if you are using it...and I recommend you do if you aren't using a mustard with bite), finely minced garlic and the juice of a lemon. Mix it all up good and then this is when I check to make sure the balance is good. Too lemony? More honey. Too sweet? More mustard. You get the picture.



Then pour about half of the glaze on your salmon. Chop up some fresh dill and add it to your reserved sauce.


Then throw 'er in the oven and let it roast for about 15 minutes until the salmon is fork tender. I kept this supper simple since I didn't have much, and I served it with a baked potato. Spoon more of that sauce over your salmon and dive in. It's so good, Steve's Dad was spooning sauce over his potato as well.
Gotta love those classy dishes the guest room provided us with.

Click here for a printable version of Roasted Salmon with Sweet 'n' Hot Mustard Glaze


__________________________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Above and by far our favorite way to eat salmon. This is simple enough that I made it in my little guest room kitchen. We were all licking our plates clean after this one. So try it. Seriously.