Shrimp and Grits – Breakfast for Dinner

I'm as open-minded as anyone. I'll try anything once, and have (this includes food), but when it comes to grits for breakfast, I just can't do it.

I know it's hugely popular in the south, and millions swear by it as the ultimate comfort starch, but nothing about it appeals to me, breakfast-wise.

I guess I love crisp-edged home fries so much that the thought of something so texturally opposite mingling with my bacon and eggs is too much of a stretch for me. Now, dinner is another story. I love shrimp and grits, and this will be the version going into the cookbook.

Shrimp and grits is a very simple recipe, but make sure you have your mise en place done before you start cooking the shrimp. They only take a few minutes to sauté, so you don't have time to run and chop scallions or juice a lemon.

As you'll see, once everything is assembled, this recipe is a snap. To make things even easier, you can make the grits a bit ahead since they stay hot a very long time. As always, if you make this and have any comments regarding the recipe, please pass them along. Thanks and enjoy!




Ingredients for 4 portions:

For the grits:
1 cup white grits
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup grated white cheddar

For the shrimp:
4 strips bacon, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 tablespoons chopped parsley
pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cream
2 teaspoon lemon juice
dash of Worcestershire