Recipe for Chard and Garlic Scape Pesto

I loved this Garlic Scape Pesto, which I froze using mini muffin tins.

Back in 2006 I discovered garlic scapes and made some Garlic Scape Pesto.   I liked the garlic scape pesto, but garlic scapes are such a strongly-flavored ingredient that this year when my friend Margarethe gave me some garlic scapes that she'd gotten in her CSA box, I thought it would be fun to try mixing them in pesto with something else.  I first thought of kale, but when I went out into the garden the chard was calling out to me, and I thought this Chard and Garlic Scape pesto was just a brilliant combination.  I like it on pasta, but I've also been mixing a few tablespoons into scrambled eggs when they're nearly cooked.  If you don't have garlic scapes, I'd still try chard pesto made with minced garlic, which I think would also be a nice combination.

Click to continue reading