Recipe for Grilled Fish with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon (Halibut, Tilapia, or Mahi Mahi)

This delicious fish marinade with garlic, basil, and lemon is good on Halibut, Tilapia, or Mahi Mahi.

(This recipe was revisited and finally updated with photos July 2011!)  It's a big holiday weekend in the U.S., and tonight I'm going to a birthday party for Nick, the charming 85 year old dad of my good friend Mary.  Nick and Mary's husband Ken were both born on July 3, so my memories of the Fourth of July involve lots of birthday parties for them.  No doubt July 4th is one of the biggest grilling days of the year for most Americans, and while most people probably grill burgers for the birthday of our nation, around here you're much more likely to find fish or chicken in my grilling recipes.  This easy recipe for grilled fish marinated in a combination of garlic, basil, and lemon is something I made for years when I was catering houseboat trips at Lake Powell, and  this recipe is long overdue for some photos.  I did get a little overly-enthusiastic with the grill marks, which is what will happen if you forget to turn your grill down to medium-high when you put the fish on, but the halibut in this photo was still lip-smackingly good!

Click to continue reading