BEST EVER PIZZA SAUCE

My picky-picky husband has been my pizza sauce Guinea pig taste tester for 43 years (pizza is his all time favorite thing to eat). I have to admit that I fed him some pretty funky pizza's over the years....he has been a brave man.


Well, several years ago, I got serious about my goal (to re-create a pizzeria style pizza sauce) and started experimenting again (poor husband). Some were too garlic-y; some were too onion-y; some were too oregano-y; etc.  

After dozens and dozens and dozens of pizza's, I've finally come up with the perfect blend of spices. Picky-picky husband is really smiling and making lip smacking noises when he eats my pizza these days (insert my big grin here). I hope your family likes it too.

MUCH BETTER THAN
COMMERCIAL PIZZA SAUCE !!


(1) 6 ounce can of tomato paste
1  1/2 cans of water
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
scant 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (don't leave out - see note)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil


Heat the olive oil to medium heat in a fry pan. Add the dry seasonings and stir for about 30 seconds or so (this "wakes up" the flavors). Add everything else and whisk till smooth. Simmer slowly for about 5-10 minutes. 

That's it!!  It's good to go immediately or you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. It really is wonderful.




NOTE: Fennel seeds are an important part of this recipe. You can leave them whole, but I like to crush them a little in my mortar and pestle so that the flavor distributes throughout the sauce evenly.

ENJOY !!!