Cheesy Vegetarian Brown Rice Casserole with Broccoli and Mushrooms

I devoured this Cheesy vegetarian casserole with brown rice, broccoli, and mushrooms.

Cheesy Vegetarian Brown Rice Casserole with Broccoli and Mushrooms found on KalynsKitchen.com

It took me a couple of dump-in-the-trash attempts to get this Cheesy Vegetarian Brown Rice Casserole with Broccoli and Mushrooms to come out the way I wanted it, but immediately after I finished taking that photo I sat down at the island in my kitchen and devoured the little plate of casserole, so I think experimenting with the recipe turned out to be worth it.  The version that worked out has a few steps that might seem labor intensive, like cooling the rice, reducing the broth, and cooking the mushrooms, onions, and broccoli separately before they get combined into the casserole. Nobody likes a simple recipe more than me, but I do think it's those little touches that helped me get the result I wanted, so I hope people will trust me on the extra steps.  And the recipe makes a generous 8 servings (or 10 side dish servings) so you'll have some to stockpile in the freezer for another day when you don't want to cook!

Click to continue reading