Orange & Red Onion Salad


I got this magazine in the mail called "Cuisine at home".   It's filled with so many delicious looking recipes, a photo for every recipe and no ads.  I already subscribe to a two magazines, "Cooks Illustrated" and "Cook's Country", which were Christmas gifts that I love but I could always use one more.  I spend my evenings looking at recipes, searching for the next  recipe to try.   So far, I've made a few recipes from this issue and they've all been keepers.  This salad is one that I'll be making again and again.  Isn't it pretty?  It's delicious too!  This recipe only make 2 side salads but you can easily double or quadruple.   I served this salad along side Orange Glazed Salmon and rice pilaf.  My daughter was over for dinner and she said, "So good!" and then I didn't hear a peep out of her until her plate was empty.  I'll be sharing the salmon recipe soon!    


    • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • 1 tablespoons honey
    • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
    • Juice of 1/2 an orange
    • 3 tablespoon olive oil
    • Salt and Black Pepper to taste
    • 1 navel orange, peeled, sliced into rounds
    • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
    • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
    • 1 tsp butter
    • 2 tsp sugar
    • pinch of cayenne or to taste
    • 2 cups mesclun salad mix
    • Minced fresh chives (I didn't use but I will in the summer when I grow chives in my herb garden)

    1. Whisk together vinegar, honey, Dijon, and orange juice in a small bowl for the vinaigrette. Drizzle in oil, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and black pepper.
    1. Marinate orange and onion slices in vinaigrette in a shallow dish for 10 minutes.
    1. Toast almonds in butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. When almonds are barely golden, add sugar, salt, and cayenne. Continue cooking , stirring constantly, until almonds are browned and coated with sugar. Transfer nuts to a plate to cool.
    1. To assemble, arrange greens on a platter; top with orange and onion slices, and desired amount of vinaigrette. Sprinkle with chives (if you use) and candied almonds.