CHUCK ROAST SLOPPY JOES IN THE CROCK POT

When it is hot in Alaska, like it has been this week (85° today, broke an 87 year record), I start thinking about my slow cooker. I certainly do not want to turn on the oven when it gets this hot. 

Heat makes me lazy, which is another reason I love my slow cooker..... I just put the meat and veggies in the crock pot, early in the day, and forget about it. Not only does my house smell wonderful, but meal time is a snap; a stack of burger buns next to the crock pot and a bowl of potato salad and I have a meal fit for company (well, MY kind of company any way).

 
A browned chuck roast cooks low and slow with veggies and seasonings until it is fall-apart-tender. Thicken the sauce a little (right in the crock pot), then put the shredded beef back in and you have a heavenly sandwich.

Personally, I like a swirl of yellow mustard on mine, how do you like yours?

CHUCK ROAST SLOPPY JOE'S

2 pounds lean beef chuck roast (trim any large fatty areas)
1 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup green pepper
2/3 cup ketchup
½ cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper sauce
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder

Brown the beef chuck roast in a frying pan, then place in a slow cooker. In the same frying pan, saute the vegetables until the onions are almost transparent.  Put the vegetables in the slow cooker.

In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over the meat and veggies. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours. It isn't necessary, but I turn the meat over a couple of times during cooking and spoon the sauce over the meat.

Thirty minutes (or so) before serving, thicken the sauce with a slurry of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.  Cut the beef into sandwich slices (or just pull it apart) and top with some of the sauce.  OH SO GOOD!!

NOTE:  My slow cooker took only 4 hours on high to make the meat extremely tender, but still slice-able. If you like your beef more like pulled pork, cook it on high for 5 hours.

NOTE: Browning the meat and veggies isn't absolutely necessary, but it sure improves the overall taste.

NOTE: This is a re-post of one of my original recipes from 2011.