Green Goddess Salad Dressing (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)

Green Goddess is one of my favorite salad dressings, and also a sign of spring!

Green Goddess Salad Dressing

(For Phase One Fridays I feature Phase One Recipes from the past that have been my personal favorites, and Green Goddess Salad Dressing is a flavor combination I've loved for years.  It's also something that feels like a sign of spring, because I love to make it with the earliest chives, scallions, and parsley that peeks up in the garden.  If you're never tried making this, you're in for a treat!)

Have you tasted Green Goddess Salad Dressing? Green Goddess was hugely popular when I was a kid, and for me, it's one of those blast-from-the-past things that I've loved for so long I don't remember when I first tried it. There are definite similarities to Ranch Dressing, but Green Goddess is creamier and more herbal, with generous amounts of chives, tarragon, and parsley. 

 It wasn't until I read about Green Goddess dressing on Hedonia that I knew that the dressing originated in San Francisco, created by a chef at the Palace Restaurant in 1923 for an actor who was starring in a play called "The Green Goddess." When I saw that post I'd been talking with my sister Sandee for months about re-creating our favorite salad dressing memory, and after I wrote about Green Goddess Dressing for BlogHer.com I finally made the dressing. I used the Green Goddess recipe from Hedonia, which Sean adapted from the original recipe from The Palace Restaurant. Of course, I loved this dressing, which I'm thinking is a pretty good reason to be sure I get some tarragon into the freezer so I can make it this winter!
Click to continue reading