Recipe for Whole Wheat Couscous with Saffron and Onions

Plain Couscous can be a little ho-hum, but this Whole Wheat Couscous with Saffron and Onion is delicious.

I was a slow to gain an appreciation for couscous, but after my neighbor Nancy introduced me to Whole Wheat Couscous it's something I find myself thinking of much more frequently when I need a quick whole-grain side dish.  I've enjoyed it in recipes like Whole Wheat Couscous with Green Onions and Parmesan and Whole Wheat Couscous Salad with Persimmons, Grapes, Green Onion, Mint, and Pine Nuts.  Do you see the common theme here with both those recipes using pine nuts?  I'm a firm believer that everything tastes good with pine nuts, and I found myself thinking that some pine nuts sprinkled on top would make a great addition to this recipe as well!  But even if you skip the pine nuts, this whole wheat couscous with saffron and onions was a lovely side dish for some fish cooked on the grill.

Click to continue reading