Sheera / Kesari bath - My 100th Post

Yes friends, you read it right, this is my 100th post! It's took me almost 3 years long journey to reach this number, which I think is too long. But inspite of a big break for a whole year of 2010  finally I achieved this milestone. Last year after I almost quit blogging, lot of remarkable changes happened in this blogging world. After resuming my blog I found myself far behind in this race and then I had to put lot of extra efforts to catch up with all. Moreover its all your continuous support my dear friends that inspired me with your wonderful and motivational comments. I truly appreciate my friends cooperation that made me stand here. Now 100 posts later, I still take lots of fun and enthusiasm in cooking for my blog, capturing those moments and writing posts expressing my thought in front of you. I even got lot of friends through my blog; who are very close to me  now. I will keep on blogging and experiments on my kitchen will continue to be posted. I want to celebrate this moment with a very sweet post with "kesari bath", which I named as "Kuchh meetha ho jaye".
Kesari bath is a very popular dessert that is included in all types of South Indian meal you order in almost all the restaurants in Bangalore. It is popular in northern India also as Sheera and Sooji halwa but that actually is the simpler form using little ghee and wihout using kesar or any other color. When I had it for the first time here I was simply amazed by finding that simple sooji halwa can be made delectable by adding ghee and saffron. The recipe is known to most of  us and so my post is for those who always take pain to go to restaurant to specially have this dessert . They can prepare it easily and enjoy having it at home.

Ingredients:

Semolina (Rawa/sooji)  
200 gms
Milk
1 cup
Ghee
3 tbsp
Bayleaves
2
Cardamom powder
1 tsp
Raisins
10 gms
Cashewnuts
10 gms
Sugar
1 cup
Saffron
2 pinch soaked in 3 tbsp. of warm milk (Or you can use orange food color)


Method:
  1. Take a large nonstick pan and add ghee.Add bay leaves and then add sooji/Rawa and fry them 6 to 8 minutes till it turns yellowish white and we get a nice aroma of roasted sooji.

  2. Add 1 cup of warm milk and 1 and 1/2 cup of boiling water. Now add sugar. Stir continously in reduced flame for about 5 minutes so that sooji absorbe water and If required add some more water so as to get a smooth consistency. add sfron milk or food color. Stir well.

  3. Switch off the  flame a and add Cardamom powder  and dry fruits (cashew and raisins). Stirr well.
Now add 1tbsp of ghee and  cover it with a lid.

Your Kesari bath is now ready to serve. Enjoy!!