Green Eggs and Ham (Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Kale)

If you have kids or grandkids who like Dr. Seuss, you might be able to get them to eat kale in this fun version of Green Eggs and Ham.

Green Eggs and Ham (Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Kale) found on KalynsKitchen.com

I was one of those kids who grew up with my nose in a book, and my love of reading has continued to this day.  In fact, now that I am officially "retired" and working at home I schedule some time nearly every day to read for a few hours, and look forward to it as a highlight of the day!  But when I was teaching elementary school I realized all too well that some kids don't love to read, and I remember being excited in 1997 when the National Education Association came up with the idea of a national celebration on Dr. Seuss' birthday, designed to get kids to be more enthusiastic about reading.

You may not have known that Read Across America was started as an NEA project, but I bet you've seen news coverage of events to promote reading happening in schools, stores, and libraries on Dr. Seuss' birthday, and if you have kids or grandkids you might even have participated in some fun happenings on that day.  

When I taught school we always had a week-long schedule of activities for Read Across America, and one of them included the school lunch version of Green Eggs and Ham, usually eggs dyed green with food coloring, with cubes of ham.  Read Across America is on March 2, and when the idea for Green Eggs and Ham (or Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Kale) popped into my mind, I thought it would be fun to post it as an idea for that day.  This was delicious; much better tan those dyed-green scrambled eggs! And if you really want to celebrate, read the book to your kids while you eat it!

Click to continue reading