Chicken Barley Soup Recipe

It may not be that creative, but Chicken Barley Soup is still one of my all-time favorites.


(First posted in 2006; updated with new photos and better instructions and added to Recipe Favorites February 2012.)  It's getting cold in Utah, which always puts me the mood for soup.  I love soup with barley, and there's  a very similar recipe using leftover turkey on the blog, as well as a recipe for Mushroom Barley Soup with Ham and Leeks that's similar too.  This recipe may be my favorite barley soup though, because you can start with a couple of chicken breasts, an onion, some carrots, some celery, and some barley and a little over an hour later you have a delicious soup.

Don't be tempted to increase the amount of barley. If you haven't cooked with barley that much, you'll be surprised how much it increases. Barley has a delightfully nutty flavor that I think combines perfectly with chicken.

Click to continue reading